Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,403 pages of information and 233,519 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Caledonian Works, Poplar and Bootle.
1770 Company established at 7, Caledonian Road by a Mr. Pritchard who traded as a chemist, the locality being then known as Battle Bridge. He conducted experiments in the production of tars, varnishes and naphtha and added the manufacture of these articles to his business.
Mr. Pritchard sold his interest in the business to a Captain Tucker, who arranged with his foreman, Mr. Wilkinson, that the industry should he carried on under the latter's name (presumably in 1796 - see advert)
Captain Tucker sold out to Mr. Heywood, grandfather of a future director, Mr. J. Sharp C. Heywood, who was subsequently joined by the late Mr. A. A. Clark.
The firm continued as Wilkinson, Heywood & Clark.
1896 Incorporated as limited company.
1907 Monograms and heraldic designs; varnishes, colours, paints, and sundries.
1911 Manufacturer of Paints, Colours and Varnishes for the Railways.
1912 Company acquired additional premises at Poplar and expanded their Bootle premises (the Paint and Colour Factory); the Varnish Factory was at West Drayton; 3 adjacent factories at Poplar: Storer's Wharf, Caledonian Wharf, and Falcon Wharf, covering ten acres of ground with a continuous frontage of 900 feet to the River Thames; the premises at Caledonian Road were retained as a Depot and Store.
by 1914 described themselves as "Proprietors of David Storer and Sons" (see advert)
1914 Manufacturers of varnishes, colours, paints, oil boilers, refiners and distillers. Specialities: coachbuilders' and all other varnishes, paints, enamels, colours, oils, greases and lubricants. Employees 1,000.