Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Gordon Scott (1885-1947)
1949 Obituary 
"WILLIAM GORDON Scow was identified with the motor industry during the whole of his professional career and at the time of his death, which occurred on 25th December 1947, was manager of the Nairn branch of Messrs. Macrae and Dick, Ltd., automobile agents and engineers of Inverness, a position he had held for twenty-one years.
He was born at Selkirk in 1885 and after some private tuition completed his general education at the High School in that town. His technical training was obtained privately and at Arthur's College, Edinburgh. After serving an apprenticeship to general, electrical, and motor engineering during the years 1898 to 1905 he began his professional career as assistant works manager to the Scottish Motor Company, Ltd., of Granton.
In 1906 he joined the staff of Messrs. Argyll's Motors, Ltd., at their Alexandra Works, Glasgow, eventually becoming special engineer to the board of directors, with responsibility for the quality of production. He was commissioned in the Royal Artillery in 1915 and placed in charge of the signalling school. A year later he was appointed signalling officer to the headquarters of the Northern Command at York. On demobilization in 1919 he received an appointment as officer in charge of workshops at Beckett's Park, Leeds, with a varied responsibility, including the management of the engineering side and the motor department. He relinquished this position in 1925 and a year later took up his final appointment with Messrs. Macrae and Dick. For his efforts in connection with the agricultural operations in Nairnshire during recent years, Mr. Scott received high commendation from the Department of Agriculture for Scotland. He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1927."