Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,996 pages of information and 212,788 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Thomas Ward Miller (1878-1947)
1948 Obituary 
"1Y1 .1V WILLIAM THOMAS WARD MILLER, who for many years was prominent as a leading expert in the operation of crushing machines, was closely associated in that capacity with the firm of Messrs. Hadfield's Steel Foundry Company, Ltd., of Sheffield.
He was born in 1878 and received his technical education at the Sheffield Technical School. After serving his apprenticeship in the fitting shop of Messrs. Burys and Company, Ltd., from 1894 to. 1898, he was employed for three years in the drawing office of Messrs. Askham Brothers and Wilson, Ltd. He then joined Messrs. Hadfield's as a draughtsman and a year later was made an assistant engineer, and entrusted with the execution of a large contract. He was promoted to the post of chief draughtsman in 1905, and received the appointment of engineer of the crushing machinery department in 1908.
Under his guidance, the range of machines was constantly widened, and, in order to obtain exact knowledge of clients' requirements, Mr. Miller travelled extensively in the firm's interests. In addition he originated a number of important schemes for the provision of plant, including that for the irrigation project at Cauvery Metur, in India, for which he supplied all the crushing units and the electrical power equipment. By his introduction of high-speed rolls he was also responsible for a notable improvement in mechanical practice, which had an important effect on the exploitation of low-grade ores in this country. An unusual task, which Mr. Miller successfully performed, was the diversion of the river Don from Messrs. Hadfield's East Hecla Works - an instance of his versatility. After holding office for twenty-four years he retired in 1932.
Mr. Miller, whose death occurred on 14th March 1947, was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1900; was transferred to Associate Membership in 1903, and to Membership in 1908. He was the author (jointly with Mr. G. Badger) of a paper on "Roller Crushers", published in the PROCEEDINGS in 1939. He also compiled a comprehensive work of reference entitled "Crushers for Stone and Ore".