Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,275 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Woodyer Buckton ( -1940)
1940 Obituary 
WILLIAM WOODYER BUCKTON, B.A., whose death occurred on 13th February 1940, was educated at Marlborough and Pembroke College, Cambridge, graduating B.A. in Mechanical Sciences in 1897. He then became a pupil at the works of Messrs. W. H. Allen, Sons and Company, Ltd., of Bedford, and remained with that firm until 1902, being employed first as draughtsman and subsequently as superintendent of the electrical transmission plant for power and lighting at their works, and also at the works of Messrs. J. and F. Howard, agricultural engineers.
Mr. Buckton was in the employ of Messrs. Harland and Wolff, Belfast from 1902 until 1903 and was engaged in the designing and erection of a 5,000 kW. power station for operating their shipyard and engine works. He then joined the staff of the Electrical Company, Ltd., Charing Cross Road, as engineer in their power department, where he was employed in the electrical equipment of the New Rock and the Lambton Collieries. In 1906 he commenced practising as a consulting engineer, specializing in electrical equipment, and continued in this capacity until his death.
During the 1914-18 war, he volunteered as an ambulance driver in France for the British Red Cross Society, and eventually took charge of sixty-eight ambulances, with headquarters at Dunkirk. Subsequently he carried out engineering works in connection with water supply for the Second Army at Ypres.
He also designed a new type of flash screen for 18pounder guns, and was eventually sent to Trouville to take charge of the generation and supply of electric light and power for the various camps. After the war he joined Mr. R. T. Durran as a consulting marine, mechanical, and electrical engineer, and was also inspector to a group of South American companies. Mr. Buckton continued in this capacity until his death.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1902 and was transferred to Membership in 1910; he was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.