Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Grange Distillery, Burntisland
1786 The distillery was established on the site of an existing brewery. Throughout its life it was either operated by members of the Young family or leased to others who traded as William Young and Co. This was the case with Andrew Currie and David Galletly, whose copartnery was dissolved in 1865, with the business reverting to the Youngs.
At the time of Alfred Barnard's visit, the distillery had an annual output, under normal conditions, of about 200,000 gallons. It was known for its Old Burntisland brand of malt whisky.
1888 The firm was incorporated as a limited liability company.
1914 The company merged with four other Lowland distillers to form a new company, Scottish Malt Distillers Limited and the firm went into voluntary liquidation at this point. The other parties to the merger were The Clydesdale Distillery Company Limited, Wishaw; A and J Dawson Limited, Linlithgow; Glenkinchie Distillery and The Rosebank Distillery Limited, Falkirk.
1926 Scottish Malt Distillers offered the Grange distillery buildings for sale, through the press, but with the condition that they were not used for any further distilling.