Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,218 pages of information and 223,604 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Young were clip-on motorcycle engines produced from 1919 to 1923. The first engines were made by the Mohawk Cycle Co, but this then changed to ones made by Waltham Engineering (Walton?) of North London.
The first clip-ons were a two-stroke 269cc Mohawk engine that fitted over the rear wheel of a standard bicycle, which it drove by chain. They then changed the make of engine and used one of 131cc. The aluminium cylinder, with a cast-iron liner, was mounted horizontally with the head to the rear. The ML magneto was chain driven and the mixture supplied by a WEC carburettor. The whole engine unit was carried in an aluminium cradle. Lubrication was by petroil, with the fuel carried in a cylindrical tank mounted above the frame top-tube.
Transmission was by chain to a countershaft carrying a clutch and then by a further chain on the left down to the rear hub.
The firm also offered a simple attachment to provide springing for the front forks and the unit remained in production until 1923.