Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Z Electric Lamp and Supplies Co, maker of electric lamps,
of Orient House, New Broad-street, London, E.C.(1908)
of Thornton Heath near Croydon, Surrey
1907 The "Z" Electric Lamp Syndicate was incorporated
1908 The "Z" Electric Lamp Syndicate was voluntarily wound up and a new company, "Z" Electric Lamp Manufacturing Company, was set up; EGM chaired by W. B. M. Bird.
1909 The "Z" Electric Lamp Manufacturing Co, of Orient House, New Broad-street, London, E.C., offered lamps for voltages ranging from 25 to 130. The company owned several patents. It was one of several "Z" lamp manufacturing companies in various European countries
1919 Captain Stanley R. Mullard, joined the Z Electric Lamp Co.
The company made both receiving and transmitting valves for the Admiralty, Royal Air Force, The General Post Office and the War Office. These devices were sold under the brand name of S R Mullard.
Mullard rapidly rose to the position of Managing Director.
1920 Capt Mullard established the Mullard Radio Valve Co Ltd. of Southfields, London, on part of the Z Electric Lamp Co's site.
1920 "Z" Electric Lamp Manufacturing Co was voluntarily wound up
1921 Z Electric Lamp and Supplies Co was a member of the Electric Lamp Manufacturers Association
The company continued in business into the 1970s, operating from premises in Thornton Heath manufacturing lamps of specialised design.