Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,701 pages of information and 247,104 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Philip and Son: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
PaulF (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
PaulF (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 13: Line 13:
* 1900s The yard specialised in making tugs in both wood and then later, steel.
* 1900s The yard specialised in making tugs in both wood and then later, steel.


* 1920 An engine works was opened up on site and in 1920 [[Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson]] purchased a majority share in the company. Tugs continued to be built for international orders, and from the mid 20s onwards the yard began making coastal tankers, ferryboats, excursion steamers.
* 1920 An engine works was opened up on site and in 1920 [[Swan Hunter|Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson]] purchased a majority share in the company. Tugs continued to be built for international orders, and from the mid 20s onwards the yard began making coastal tankers, ferryboats, excursion steamers.


* 1930s As well as the above, the yard also made yachts, small craft (flat packed for rebuilding overseas) and petroleum swim barges.
* 1930s As well as the above, the yard also made yachts, small craft (flat packed for rebuilding overseas) and petroleum swim barges.
Line 30: Line 30:
* [[1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE]]
* [[1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE]]


[[Category: Town - Dartmouth]]
[[Category:Ship Builders]]
[[Category:Ship Builders]]

Revision as of 19:54, 4 May 2011

Philip and Son, shipbuilders of Dartmouth

  • It was established in 1858 by George Philip.
  • His son Alexander took over the reins in 1874.
  • In turn, George Philip's grandsons (George and John) succeeded Alexander.
  • 1905 Public company.
  • The company took limited liability status in 1905 and the Noss yard of Simpson, Strickland and Co was also taken over at this time.
  • 1900s The yard specialised in making tugs in both wood and then later, steel.
  • 1920 An engine works was opened up on site and in 1920 Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson purchased a majority share in the company. Tugs continued to be built for international orders, and from the mid 20s onwards the yard began making coastal tankers, ferryboats, excursion steamers.
  • 1930s As well as the above, the yard also made yachts, small craft (flat packed for rebuilding overseas) and petroleum swim barges.
  • WW2 The yard mainly repaired and built small warships during the war.
  • 1950s In the post war period the yard made dry-cargo coasters, coastal tankers, a Mersey ferry, Thames tugs as well as ongoing overseas orders for passenger/cargo ships.
  • 1960s The yard made a number of ferries.
  • 1961 Shipbuilders, engineers, building slips for vessels up to 280ft. 450 employees.

Sources of Information