John Muir Hetherington: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 2: | Line 2: | ||
---- | ---- | ||
'''Obituary | '''1909 Obituary<ref>[[The Engineer 1908/03/06]]</ref> | ||
. . . born in 1833, and joined the firm of Hetherington | . . . born in 1833, and joined the firm of Hetherington | ||
Line 8: | Line 8: | ||
brothers John and Thomas took over the business, and | brothers John and Thomas took over the business, and | ||
in 1866 [[John McQueen]] became partner. After the | in 1866 [[John McQueen]] became partner. After the | ||
death of | death of [[Thomas Hetherington]] the firm was made | ||
into a private limited company, and was reconstructed | into a private limited company, and was reconstructed | ||
in 1894, with Mr. John Muir Hetherington as chairman . . . [more] | in 1894, with Mr. John Muir Hetherington as chairman . . . [more] | ||
---- | ---- | ||
'''1909 Obituary <ref> [[Institution of Civil Engineers]] Minutes of the Proceedings </ref> | |||
JOHN MUIR HETHERINGTON, who died at Bournemouth on | |||
the 25th February, 1908, in his seventy-sixth year, was, up to | |||
within a few years of his death, chairman of [[John Hetherington and Sons]], Ltd., machine makers, of Vulcan, Phoenix and Ancoats Works, Manchester. | |||
Having served 6 years’ pupilage to his father | |||
in the works and drawing-office of the firm, he was taken into | |||
partnership in 1854, and continued to take an active share in the | |||
direction of the business until his retirement, a period of nearly half | |||
a century. | |||
He was largely instrumental in perfecting the Heilmann | |||
comber and introducing it into Lancashire, and amongst other | |||
inventions which owe their origin or improvement to his resourceful | |||
ability is the all-metal carriage for self-acting mules, now extensively | |||
adopted in the cotton-spinning trade. | |||
Apart from business life, he | |||
was closely associated for nearly 50 years with the welfare of the | |||
Ancoats Hospital, to which institution, as president and treasurer | |||
for over 40 years, he devoted considerable time and effort, besides | |||
contributing largely to its funds. | |||
Mr. Hetherington was elected a Member of The Institution on | |||
the 7th December, 1886. | |||
---- | |||
Revision as of 17:27, 28 May 2012
See John Hetherington and Sons
1909 Obituary[1]
. . . born in 1833, and joined the firm of Hetherington and Sons in 1847. Upon the death of their father the brothers John and Thomas took over the business, and in 1866 John McQueen became partner. After the death of Thomas Hetherington the firm was made into a private limited company, and was reconstructed in 1894, with Mr. John Muir Hetherington as chairman . . . [more]
1909 Obituary [2]
JOHN MUIR HETHERINGTON, who died at Bournemouth on the 25th February, 1908, in his seventy-sixth year, was, up to within a few years of his death, chairman of John Hetherington and Sons, Ltd., machine makers, of Vulcan, Phoenix and Ancoats Works, Manchester.
Having served 6 years’ pupilage to his father in the works and drawing-office of the firm, he was taken into partnership in 1854, and continued to take an active share in the direction of the business until his retirement, a period of nearly half a century.
He was largely instrumental in perfecting the Heilmann comber and introducing it into Lancashire, and amongst other inventions which owe their origin or improvement to his resourceful ability is the all-metal carriage for self-acting mules, now extensively adopted in the cotton-spinning trade.
Apart from business life, he was closely associated for nearly 50 years with the welfare of the Ancoats Hospital, to which institution, as president and treasurer for over 40 years, he devoted considerable time and effort, besides contributing largely to its funds.
Mr. Hetherington was elected a Member of The Institution on the 7th December, 1886.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Engineer 1908/03/06
- ↑ Institution of Civil Engineers Minutes of the Proceedings