Stephen Dewar Holden: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 4: | Line 4: | ||
Chief Mechanical Engineer of the [[Great Eastern Railway]] | Chief Mechanical Engineer of the [[Great Eastern Railway]] | ||
1899 Married at Ipswich to Alice Mabel Ransome | |||
---- | ---- | ||
Line 10: | Line 12: | ||
STEPHEN DEWAR HOLDEN was born at Saltney, Cheshire, on 23rd August 1870, being the youngest son of Mr. James Holden, formerly Locomotive Superintendent of the Great Eastern Railway. His early education was received privately, after which he went to University College School, London. | STEPHEN DEWAR HOLDEN was born at Saltney, Cheshire, on 23rd August 1870, being the youngest son of Mr. James Holden, formerly Locomotive Superintendent of the Great Eastern Railway. His early education was received privately, after which he went to University College School, London. | ||
In 1886 he began a pupilage of four years under his father at the locomotive, carriage and wagon works of the [[Stratford Works|Great Eastern Railway, Stratford]], and during this period he also studied in the evenings at University College. Subsequently be spent 18 months in the drawing office, and six months as inspector of the running department. He then acted as assistant to the London District Locomotive Superintendent, and in October 1892 was appointed Suburban District Locomotive Superintendent, being transferred to the Ipswich District two years later. | In 1886 he began a pupilage of four years under his father at the locomotive, carriage and wagon works of the [[Stratford Works| Great Eastern Railway, Stratford]], and during this period he also studied in the evenings at University College. Subsequently be spent 18 months in the drawing office, and six months as inspector of the running department. He then acted as assistant to the London District Locomotive Superintendent, and in October 1892 was appointed Suburban District Locomotive Superintendent, being transferred to the Ipswich District two years later. | ||
In July 1897 he returned to London as District Locomotive Superintendent, and successively became Chief of Running Department, Assistant Locomotive Superintendent, and Locomotive Superintendent, to which post he was appointed in January 1908. This position he held until 1912, when he retired. | In July 1897 he returned to London as District Locomotive Superintendent, and successively became Chief of Running Department, Assistant Locomotive Superintendent, and Locomotive Superintendent, to which post he was appointed in January 1908. This position he held until 1912, when he retired. |
Latest revision as of 09:26, 2 February 2023
Stephen Dewar Holden (1870-1918)
son of James Holden
Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Great Eastern Railway
1899 Married at Ipswich to Alice Mabel Ransome
1918 Obituary [1]
STEPHEN DEWAR HOLDEN was born at Saltney, Cheshire, on 23rd August 1870, being the youngest son of Mr. James Holden, formerly Locomotive Superintendent of the Great Eastern Railway. His early education was received privately, after which he went to University College School, London.
In 1886 he began a pupilage of four years under his father at the locomotive, carriage and wagon works of the Great Eastern Railway, Stratford, and during this period he also studied in the evenings at University College. Subsequently be spent 18 months in the drawing office, and six months as inspector of the running department. He then acted as assistant to the London District Locomotive Superintendent, and in October 1892 was appointed Suburban District Locomotive Superintendent, being transferred to the Ipswich District two years later.
In July 1897 he returned to London as District Locomotive Superintendent, and successively became Chief of Running Department, Assistant Locomotive Superintendent, and Locomotive Superintendent, to which post he was appointed in January 1908. This position he held until 1912, when he retired.
His death took place at Rochester on 7th February 1918, at the age of forty-seven.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1910.