Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,016 pages of information and 212,992 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The G. E. R. of Liverpool Street Railway Station.
The Great Eastern Railway (GER) was a pre-grouping British railway company, whose main line linked London to Norwich and had various other lines through East Anglia. The company was grouped into the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923.
1863 The company was incorporated and owns 1,062 miles of line, besides 149.75 miles held jointly with others. 
The GER was formed in 1862 as an amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway; and also with several other smaller railways:
Robert Sinclair was consulting Engineer for the company until he resigned in 1866.
1882 Opening of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint Railway
By 1884 John Wilson was chief engineer.
1888 See Locomotive Stock June 1888
The GER had owned over 1200 miles of line and had a near-monopoly over East Anglia services until the creation of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway in 1893.
The majority of its locomotives were manufactured in Stratford Works, which was on the site of today's Stratford International station.
In 1902 the Northern and Eastern Railway also joined the GER.
1923 It was grouped with other railways to form the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).