Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Harry S. Edwards and Sons: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
PaulF (talk | contribs)
PaulF (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 2: Line 2:


1768 Business established at High Docks, South Shields.
1768 Business established at High Docks, South Shields.
1883 Laid out a shipyard at Howdon.
1898 Subsequent to Edwards’ death in 1898, the yard was acquired by Rowland Hodge, previously yard manager for C.S. Swan and Hunter at their Wallsend yard.
Hodge transferred the ownership of the Howdon Yard to the [[Northumberland Shipbuilding Co]] for £6,000, with Sir Christopher Furness, a West Hartlepool shipowner, taking a controlling interest in the company.
1918 the yard was sold to new owners led by the Belfast company [[Workman, Clark and Co]] for £835,000. They used the Northumberland company to create the largest shipbuilding combine in Britain.
In 1926 the yard closed, but the following year re-opened as The Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. (1927) Ltd, with 7 berths and capacity to build ships up to 600 feet in length. The last ship was launched in 1930, the 343rd under the Northumberland name. The yard was sold to National Shipbuilders Security Ltd and later dismantled.
____


1899 The [[Smiths Dock Co]] was registered <ref>The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908</ref> as result of amalgamation of [[T. and W. Smith]] with the Bull Ring repair yards of [[Harry S. Edwards and Sons]] and [[Edwards Brothers]].
1899 The [[Smiths Dock Co]] was registered <ref>The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908</ref> as result of amalgamation of [[T. and W. Smith]] with the Bull Ring repair yards of [[Harry S. Edwards and Sons]] and [[Edwards Brothers]].

Revision as of 21:20, 31 July 2024

Ship repairers of South Shields

1768 Business established at High Docks, South Shields.

1883 Laid out a shipyard at Howdon.

1898 Subsequent to Edwards’ death in 1898, the yard was acquired by Rowland Hodge, previously yard manager for C.S. Swan and Hunter at their Wallsend yard.

Hodge transferred the ownership of the Howdon Yard to the Northumberland Shipbuilding Co for £6,000, with Sir Christopher Furness, a West Hartlepool shipowner, taking a controlling interest in the company.

1918 the yard was sold to new owners led by the Belfast company Workman, Clark and Co for £835,000. They used the Northumberland company to create the largest shipbuilding combine in Britain.

In 1926 the yard closed, but the following year re-opened as The Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. (1927) Ltd, with 7 berths and capacity to build ships up to 600 feet in length. The last ship was launched in 1930, the 343rd under the Northumberland name. The yard was sold to National Shipbuilders Security Ltd and later dismantled.

____

1899 The Smiths Dock Co was registered [1] as result of amalgamation of T. and W. Smith with the Bull Ring repair yards of Harry S. Edwards and Sons and Edwards Brothers.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908