Leeds and Thirsk Railway: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
[[Image:Im201101NRM-Bray.jpg|thumb| 1845-9. Memorial to the men who died in the construction of the | [[Image:Im201101NRM-Bray.jpg|thumb| 1845-9. Memorial to the men who died in the construction of the [[Bramhope Tunnel]]. Erected by [[James Bray]] the contractor. Exhibit at the [[National Railway Museum]].]] | ||
The Leeds and Thirsk Railway via Starbeck opened on 9 July 1848. | The Leeds and Thirsk Railway via Starbeck opened on 9 July 1848. |
Latest revision as of 16:57, 9 February 2011

The Leeds and Thirsk Railway via Starbeck opened on 9 July 1848.
In 1845 Samuel Smiles left the Leeds Times and became secretary to the Leeds and Thirsk Railway.
In 1852 as the Leeds Northern Railway the extension to Northallerton and Stockton opened.
The line then became part of the North Eastern Railway in the 1854 amalgamation
The viaduct over the river Wharfe was the work of the Leeds and Thirsk Railway Company.