Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,711 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Reid: Difference between revisions

From Graces Guide
PIT (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
PaulF (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 3: Line 3:
of [[Hyde Park Locomotive Works]].
of [[Hyde Park Locomotive Works]].


James Reid (1823-1894)
1823 Born in the parish of Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, on the 8th September.
Engaged as a blacksmith's assistant.
Served an apprenticeship to Mr. James Liddell, millwright and engineer, of Airdrie
Subsequently served in the works of the [[Kilmarnock Foundry Co]].
1847 With [[Scott, Sinclair and Co]] of Greenock
Then [[Caird and Co]] of Greenock, engaged in marine engineering and shipbuilding and in the construction of locomotives, where he became manager.
1851 Appointed manager to the Hyde Park Locomotive Works, Glasgow, owned by [[Neilson and Co]].
After some years became manager of the locomotive works of [[Sharp, Stewart and Co]] in Manchester.
1863 When Henry Dubs retired from the management of the Hyde Park Works to start the Glasgow Locomotive Works at Polmadie, Mr. Reid returned to Messrs. Neilson and Company as managing partner.  From then on devoted all his energy to the development and extension of the works.  As an indication of the progress made under Mr. Reid's management,
it may be mentioned that when he returned to Glasgow in
1863 about 1,000 men were employed, the number of engines
turned out in that year being 78 ; while now the number of hands
has increased to about 2,500, and the average annual output of
locomotives to 200.
Mr. Reid's original agreement with the firm was for a period of
ten years. On the expiration of that term a new arrangement was
made which gave him the option of purchase. That power he
exercised in the year 18i6, from which date until 1893, when his
four sons were taken into partnership, he was the sole proprietor
* 1894 June. Obituary in 'The Engineer' (Is this the same person?)
* 1894 June. Obituary in 'The Engineer' (Is this the same person?)



Revision as of 16:30, 11 May 2012

File:Im1901Eing-ReidJ-HPark.jpg
1901.

of Hyde Park Locomotive Works.

James Reid (1823-1894)

1823 Born in the parish of Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, on the 8th September.

Engaged as a blacksmith's assistant.

Served an apprenticeship to Mr. James Liddell, millwright and engineer, of Airdrie

Subsequently served in the works of the Kilmarnock Foundry Co.

1847 With Scott, Sinclair and Co of Greenock

Then Caird and Co of Greenock, engaged in marine engineering and shipbuilding and in the construction of locomotives, where he became manager.

1851 Appointed manager to the Hyde Park Locomotive Works, Glasgow, owned by Neilson and Co.

After some years became manager of the locomotive works of Sharp, Stewart and Co in Manchester.

1863 When Henry Dubs retired from the management of the Hyde Park Works to start the Glasgow Locomotive Works at Polmadie, Mr. Reid returned to Messrs. Neilson and Company as managing partner. From then on devoted all his energy to the development and extension of the works. As an indication of the progress made under Mr. Reid's management, it may be mentioned that when he returned to Glasgow in 1863 about 1,000 men were employed, the number of engines turned out in that year being 78 ; while now the number of hands has increased to about 2,500, and the average annual output of locomotives to 200. Mr. Reid's original agreement with the firm was for a period of ten years. On the expiration of that term a new arrangement was made which gave him the option of purchase. That power he exercised in the year 18i6, from which date until 1893, when his four sons were taken into partnership, he was the sole proprietor

  • 1894 June. Obituary in 'The Engineer' (Is this the same person?)

Sources of Information