Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,033 pages of information and 213,123 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sharp, Stewart and Co initially of Atlas Works, Great Bridgewater St, Oxford St, and Caledonia Foundry, Gloucester St, Manchester, boiler makers, ironfounders, machine makers, millwrights, toolmakers and dealers.
and later of Atlas Works, Glasgow in 1888.
formerly Sharp Brothers and Co
1852 The senior partner, John Sharp, retired and was replaced by Charles Patrick Stewart, the name of the company changed to Sharp, Stewart and Co. Shortly after Charles Beyer left. Thomas Sharp junior was succeeded by Stephen Robinson.
Shortly afterwards Charles Beyer left.
1852 William Statham is Superintendent of the Locomotive Department 
1853 Listed as makers of locomotive engines. 
1853 There is a description of the works of Sharp Brothers and Co in the 1853 Directory of Manchester and Salford pages xxxiii.
1853 Thomas Beatt Sharp and William Sharp listed as being engineers at Sharp, Brothers and Co, ironfounders, engineers, millwrights and machinists, of Great Bridgewater St and Oxford St, St Peter's (the same as Thomas Sharp and Co). Also described as makers of locomotive engines. .
1853 Pillar Crane. 
1853 Slotting machine for 7ft wheels. 
1855. Patent. Dated July 12, 1855.— John Robinson, of Sharp, Stewart, and Co., Manchester, engineers, and William Wedding, of the same place, draughtsman, for improvements in machinery for cutting paper cardboard and other materials 
1856 Improved machines for making carpets 
1857 Produced their 1,000 locomotive 
1858 James Reid was appointed manager.
1858 July. Boiler explosion at Atlas Works leaves seven dead. Employing 1,500 hands. 
1858 October. Carpet loom. 'We saw in operation on Wednesday a new and improved reel winding machine, for spooling or winding sewing cotton or thread, the invention of Mr. William Weild, of the establishment Messrs. Sharp, Stewart, and Co., the "Atlas Works," of this city, where the machine has been made and first put into operation. Mr. Weild is the inventor of the carpet loom, and many other machines, and he has been with the above firm fifteen years . . . 
1860 Sole rights were obtained for Giffard's patent injector.
1862 The company began making larger engines, firstly some 4-6-0 saddle tank engines for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. By 1865 they were building 0-8-0s, again for India.
1862 The company's exhibits at the 1862 International Exhibition in London included eight different types of machine tool 
1863 Reid left Sharp Stewart to return to Neilson and Co
1864 The company acquired limited liability.
1880 Shares quoted/traded on Manchester Exchange (indicating was a public company).
1882 John Robinson became chairman on the death of Charles Stewart.
1888 They were also dealing in general brass and ironmongery, and machine tools; the lease on their premises expired so it became necessary to move. They took over and moved to the Clyde Locomotive Works in Glasgow, renaming it Atlas Works.
1889 A number of compounds were built for the Argentine Central Railway in 1889, some 4-4-0 and some 2-8-0.
1892 They received an order for seventy five 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s from the Midland Railway. By now they had built a number of 4-6-0 engines for overseas railways, but in 1894 came their first order for a British line, the "Jones Goods" of the Highland Railway. By the end of the century they were supplying railways at home and all over the world.
1894 Description of their Atlas works in 'The Engineer'. Long article with many photographs. 
1900 A Duplex Triple-geared Lathe illustrated in 'The Engineer'. 
From 'Short Histories of Famous Firms' by Ernest Leopold Ahrons, The Engineer - 1923/08/24.
"The original foundation of this celebrated firm dates back to 1806, when two brothers, Thomas and Robert Chapman Sharp, had a workshop in Manchester for the manufacture of tools and general machines. In 1823 a third brother, John Sharp joined the firm, and in 1828 Richard Roberts was taken into partnership, and the title of the firm became Sharp, Roberts and Co. At this time the business was chiefly concerned with the manufacture of cotton-spinning machinery, to which card-making machinery was subsequently added. Roberts was a born mechanical genius, to which talent he added a sound engineering knowledge, such that his many useful ideas materialised into practical working machines. The demand for machine tools afterwards occupied the attention of the two partners, with the result that planing, slotting, wheel-teeth cutting and other useful machines, some of which wore invented and improved by Roberts, found their way into the numerous engineering works then springing up in this country.
In 1833, Sharp, Roberts and Co took up locomotive manufacture, and their first engine was put to work in 1834 on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. It was aptly named Experiment, and was followed the same year by three engines on somewhat similar principles for the Dublin and Kingstown Railway..." Read More
Read the series of articles on the History of Sharp, Stewart and Co.
The Engineer 1923/08/24 - (No I)
The Engineer 1923/08/31 - (No II)