Deptford Royal Dockyard: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
|||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
'''The Deptford Royal Dockyard''' was near the Royal Navy College at Greenwich, along with the [[Royal Dockyard at Woolwich]], was founded in 1514 and closed during 1870 after the building of two warships. | '''The Deptford Royal Dockyard''' was near the Royal Navy College at Greenwich, along with the [[Woolwich Dockyard|Royal Dockyard at Woolwich]], was founded in 1514 and closed during 1870 after the building of two warships. | ||
In 1908 part of the Dockyard was bought up by [[W. R. Cunis]] in order to service their fleet of sailing barges, tugs and lighters. | In 1908 part of the Dockyard was bought up by [[W. R. Cunis]] in order to service their fleet of sailing barges, tugs and lighters. |
Revision as of 15:20, 4 May 2016
The Deptford Royal Dockyard was near the Royal Navy College at Greenwich, along with the Royal Dockyard at Woolwich, was founded in 1514 and closed during 1870 after the building of two warships.
In 1908 part of the Dockyard was bought up by W. R. Cunis in order to service their fleet of sailing barges, tugs and lighters.
In 1971 they were partnered by the Hays Wharf to form Cubow They built coasters for the Rochester fleet and others.
In the late 70s the ten berths were modernised and the yard made coasters, tank barges and oil rig supply vessels. The yard also made fishing vessels.
See Also
Sources of Information
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss