John Paton, Son and Co
1770s The business was founded by John Paton of Alloa, Scotland and James Baldwin of Halifax, West Yorkshire. Both individuals had separately formed their businesses using the spinning mule developed by Samuel Crompton. Both companies produced mainly yarns for commercial knitting machines.
1814 John Paton set up a wool dyeing and spinning company in Alloa, Scotland. He built Kilncraigs Mill on the site of Kilncraig House which he inherited from his father. Alexander Paton joined the firm, the company becoming Paton and Son
1848 John Paton died, and Alexander Paton's brother-in-law and nephew joined the firm.
1880 Fire at the Alloa premises [1]
1920 The two companies, J. and J. Baldwin and Partners and John Paton, Son and Co merged, creating Patons and Baldwins. [2] The company was an amalgamation of long-established Scottish and West Riding knitting wool manufacturers, decided to relocate its headquarters and six factories to Darlington.