John Charles Raymond Okes
of 39 Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C.
c.1833 Born in Cambridge, son of John Okes, M.B., of Cherry Hinton
1852 Entered Peterhouse College, Cambridge
Apprenticed as an engineer to L. Fairbairn, in Manchester.
Pupil at the works of Fairbairn and Sons (2-3 years)
Then he was employed part of the time at Doncaster Works under Mr Sturrock and part of the time as manager for Mr Schiele in Oldham
1861 Set up the foundry of Delany and Okes, foundry and marine engine works
1865 Associate of the Inst Civil Engineers
Carried on for many years a business in Queen Victoria Street, London.
1875 Manager Hayward, Tyler and Co
1881 John Chas. Raymond Okes 48, civil engineer, lived in Marylebone, with Rachel Oste Okes 39[1]
1887of 39, Queen Victoria-street, London. He exhibited an improved Rider hot air engine
1911 John Charles Raymond Okes 78, retired mechanical engineer, lived in Watford with Rachel L'Oste Okes 69[2]
1916 Died in Watford[3]
See Also
Sources of Information
- Mechanical Engineer records
- Cambridge alumni