Harry S. Edwards and Sons
Ship repairers of South Shields
1768 Business established at High Docks, South Shields.
1883 Laid out a shipyard at Howdon.
1898 Subsequent to Edwards’ death in 1898, the yard was acquired by Rowland Hodge, previously yard manager for C.S. Swan and Hunter at their Wallsend yard.
Hodge transferred the ownership of the Howdon Yard to the Northumberland Shipbuilding Co for £6,000, with Sir Christopher Furness, a West Hartlepool shipowner, taking a controlling interest in the company.
1918 the yard was sold to new owners led by the Belfast company Workman, Clark and Co for £835,000. They used the Northumberland company to create the largest shipbuilding combine in Britain.
In 1926 the yard closed, but the following year re-opened as The Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. (1927) Ltd, with 7 berths and capacity to build ships up to 600 feet in length. The last ship was launched in 1930, the 343rd under the Northumberland name. The yard was sold to National Shipbuilders Security Ltd and later dismantled.
____
1899 The Smiths Dock Co was registered [1] as result of amalgamation of T. and W. Smith with the Bull Ring repair yards of Harry S. Edwards and Sons and Edwards Brothers.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908