Rankin and Blackmore



Eagle Foundry, Baker Street, Greenock, were makers of steam engines for marine use.
1862 The Eagle Foundry of Johnstone and Leitch was bought by Daniel Rankin and Edward Blackmore, who quickly diversified from the manufacture of sugar making machinery into marine engines and boilers.
1889 See 1889 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the marine engines produced.
1890 Description and engraving of a 'disconnective' quadruple-expansion engine erected by Rankin and Blackmore, of Greenock, at the City Roller Mills, Limerick, belonging to James Bannatyne and Sons. The cylinders were 12 in., 16 in., 22 in., and 28 in. in diameter respectively, all having a piston stroke of 36 in. The valve gear was of the usual slide-valve pattern, for all the cylinders except the high-pressure one, which was fitted with Proell’s automatic expansion gear and governor, constructed by Thomas McCulloch and Sons, of Kilmarnock. 350 IHP at 75 rpm[1]
1914 Incorporated as a private company, Rankin and Blackmore Limited.
1923 Lithgows bought Rankin and Blackmore, marine engineers, Greenock.
1925 See Aberconway for information on shipbuilding h.p produced in 1904 and 1925
1946 Built engines for 'PS Bristol Queen' of Bristol.
1961 Engineers, boiler makers and ironfounders, specialising in ships' engines and steering gear. [2]
1962 Closure announced.
1967 Voluntary liquidation.
See Also
Sources of Information
- John Shields, Clyde Built: A history of Shipbuilding on the River Clyde (1949), p.136
- L. A. Ritchie, The Shipbuilding Industry: A Guide to Historical Records (1992)
- National Records of Scotland BT2/1968/327
- Edinburgh Gazette 31st March 1967
- Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain by George Watkins. Vol 10