James Headford and Co
of Upper Easton, Bristol.
1825 James Headford and Co. established by James Headford (1799 – 1863) on land leased from Thomas Richards. The company initially produced bricks, tiles and ‘fire sands’.
1829 Started producing lime.
Early 1830s The horse drawn Coalpit Heath Dramway was constructed across the south-eastern corner of the brick works. This line was upgraded in 1844 to carry locomotives of the Bristol and Gloucester Railway.
1842 Brick works depicted on the tithe map. Two adjoining houses occupied by James Headford and his brother-in-law Samuel Sage (1801-78).
1848 Headford and Sage founded by James Headford and Samuel Sage (1801-78) to run the brick works.