Egis Shipbuilding Co
A shipyard on the River Wear in North-East England.
1917 The EGIS Shipbuilding Company was formed - EGIS was an acronym for Ellerman, Gray, Inchcape and Strick. The yard had four berths and a fitting-out quay
1918 Agreement regarding the use of a small plot of land belonging to Short Brothers Ltd[1]
1919 The yard launched its first ship, the Golconda , a Standard ship to the national design.
1923 Having previously been absorbed into William Gray & Company (1918) Ltd, the yard began trading under the name William Gray and Co Ltd.
1925 The yard was closed due to lack of orders.
1927 Work resumed with 19 tramps completed before the Depression finished the yard off.
1930 Grays closed the yard. It had completed 34 ships.
1936 In November the yard was purchased by National Shipbuilders Security.
1938 The four berths were dismantled.
1939 The Sunderland shipyard was purchased by the Steel Group as a home for Henry J. Coles, maker of cranes of Derby which it had just purchased.
NB
Lord Inchcape owned Gray, Dawes and Co which acquired Strick Line in 1919