Somervell Brothers


of Netherfield, Kendal, makers of K Shoes.
1842 Robert Miller Somervell opened a "Shoemaking Accessories Merchant and Leather Factor" business.
1845 The company moved to Netherfield in Kendal.
1848 The company became Somervell Brothers, a partnership between brothers Robert and John Somervell.
1865 The company, now a manufacturer of shoes, began to use its "K" logo.
John Somervell died in 1887
Robert Miller Somervell died in 1899
c1900 The company was by this time manufacturing 175,000 pairs of shoes a year.
1920 A new factory was built in Lancaster.
1949 Became a public company: K Shoes Ltd.
1953 Acquired the footwear manufacturing subsidiary of W. Abbott and Sons[1]
Opened factories at factories at Askam-in-Furness, Workington, Millom and Shap
1961 Acquired W. H. H. Clarke of Norwich
1981 Company merged with Clarks Shoes.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Times Apr. 30, 1953
- Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5