Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Gravel Lane Railway Bridges (Salford)

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 09:13, 17 May 2024 by JohnD (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
2024. View looking north-east
2024. View looking south-west

A bridge was built over Gravel Lane c.1844 to carry the elevated railway west of Manchester Victoria Railway Station. It was appreciably skewed, with six cast iron arch ribs.

It was one of five cast iron bridges on the line through Salford, which also included 76 brick arches. The other iron skew bridges crossed the River Irwell, Ducie Street, Chapel Street, and the Bolton and Bury Canal. Edward Woods was the Engineer, and Pauling and Henfrey were the main contractors.[1]

Major alterations were subsequently carried out in connection with the widening of the railway and also the widening and straightening of Blackfriars Road. Substantial riveted beam bridges were built on each side of the c.1844 bridge, as can be seen in the photographs.

1903 'LONDON AND NORTH-WESTERN RAIL IMPROVEMENTS. In the new London and North-Western Railway Bill just issued provision is made for the extension and enlargement of the Exchange Station, Salford, by extending for five yards the bridge over Bury-street, extending by seven yards the bridge over Legendre-street, making a new bridge over Gravel Lane, Trinity Market, and Blackfriars Road, extending for 23 yards the bridge carrying Salford approach over stopping up Union-stret, Harding-street, King's Head Yard, and all other streets, &c, within the area bounded by Blackfriars Road, Chapel-street, Greengate, and the Exchange Station, and taking other lands between the station, Deal-street, Chapel-street, and Cathedral approach.'[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 'The Liverpool & Manchester Railway' by R H G Thomas, Batsford, 1980
  2. Manchester Evening News - Saturday 26 December 1903