Yorkshire Drydock Co
The Yorkshire Drydock Co of Hull
- 1917 The company was set up by John H. Whitaker Ltd of Hull. Although the company had a background in the transport of dry cargoes along the Humber
- 1920s The first focus of the company was repairing river tank barges. The yard was extensively modernised and refurbished in the late 20s. They were based at Lime Street and Garrison Side works on the River Hull.
- 1960s The company moved into shipbuilding in the 1960s starting at Lime Street. As previously the main manufacturing concern was for tank barges and dry cargo coasters.
- 1976 The company acquired the Humber oil barge interests of John Harker Ltd in 1976 and then two further dry docks were bought up from the Drypool Group in 1976. In the late 1970s, the company began making standard coasters.
- 1980s The 80s were characterised by the building of thirty low air-draft coasters. The company also made a Nile cruise vessel: Ra which was used for package holidays to Egypt.
- 1990s The company continued making large vessels into the mid 1990s and went out of business shortly thereafter.
See Also
Sources of Information
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss