Part of Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Co, UK subsidiary of ASEA of Sweden, manufacturer of transformers and other electrical equipment
1896 John Leslie Fuller was appointed sales representative of Allmana Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget (A.S.E.A.), to organise the sale of A.S.E.A. single-phase motors in Great Britain.
1898 July 1: Because John Fuller's enterprise had been so successful, a UK company was founded, the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Company at the invitation of Mr. George Wenstrom, managing director of A.S.E.A.. Fuller disposed of his electrical contracting business to become manager of the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Company
1901 Factory opened in the Haunch of Venison Yard, off Brook Street, London W.1. for the assembly of motors from components imported from Sweden.
1905 After four years' operation in Haunch of Venison Yard, staffed by fifteen workmen, the factory was moved to Blackhorse Lane, Walthamstow, especially to manufacture motors up to 200 h.p.
c.1910 The firm was constituted as a limited liability company - ASEA Electric Ltd
1915 a new factory was built in Fulbourne Road, Walthamstow. At the same time, the sales offices were moved to Chancery Lane and branch offices were opened in Manchester and Birmingham.
1915 name changed to Swedish General Electric Ltd
1919 Started to manufacture transformers (up to 100kVA)
1928 Name changed to ASEA Electric Ltd
1929 Began making on-load tap changers
1932 the firm began to build variable speed a.c. commutator motors
1935 The factory was extended by 41,000 square feet to allow increased production of motors
Pre-WWII: further extensions to enable manufacture of high voltage switchgear and to make room for an enlarged tank shop.
1955 Centralisation of production at the new West Works at Walthamstow, closing the control gear factory at Leyton, special welding electrodes manufacture in Birmingham and a machine shop in Poplar.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 7 May 1957
- The Engineer 1958/10/03