Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,059 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Isaac J. Abdela and Mitchell of Queensferry, of Brimscombe, Stroud, and of George Street, Manchester, were makers of steam engines and boilers for marine use and builders of boats, mainly for river use.
1901 The company of Isaac J Abdela and Co was registered; they were manufacturers of slippers, glass-cutters and engineers of 45 Caernarvon Street Manchester. The firm also engaged in the business of Shippers and Agents from 55 George Street.
Shortly after Clark's boatyard was acquired, Isaac J Abdela and Co. effected a merger with Mitchell and Company, grey cloth merchants of 311 Moss Lane Manchester, forming Isaac J Abdela & Mitchell Ltd. Isaac J Abdela was Chairman; other directors were Demosthenes Tchaoussoglou (from Mitchell & Co.) and John W Earle (formerly Edwin Clark & Co. Ltd.) Managing Director.
1903 The company was commissioned to build a steamer and 4 prefabricated steel punts for an expedition to the Blue Nile. The firm built on its expertise in steam launches in kit form for export.
Similar orders followed, including one for 17 boats for use on the Amazon.
1906 Built the San Juan and Hildago.
1908/9 the company acquired the Dee Shipbuilding Yard at Queensferry, Flint. This yard could launch larger vessels - in 1909 two tugs for the port of Marseilles were launched. Not long after, Abdelas issued a catalogue extolling the virtues of a French outboard motor called 'Motogodille‘.
c.1912 Staff included John W. Earle (Works Manager), M. Knight (Chief Draughtsman), Harry Taylor (Chief Clark), Ossie Merchant, F. W. Baker, Ralph Ponting, Ernie Crook, Hubert Bloodworth (whose father owned the foundry at Brimscombe South Mill).
By 1912 the Directors were: Isaac J Abdela and Joseph Jacob Abdela, with no evidence of a continued interest by the former Mitchell & Co directors.
1912 Some sources say that the yard built the African Queen (also known as Steam Launch Livingstone)
1914 Listed at Brimscombe as "Abdela, Isaac J. and Mitchell Limited, steam launch builder." 
WWI Brimscombe produced many lighters and also four wooden Admiralty steam harbour launches and a tug. The Deeside yard undertook considerable naval work.
1923 Engine made for Neyland vehicle and passenger ferry, Pembroke
1925 The company of Isaac J Abdela and Mitchell Ltd was voluntarily wound up
1926 A reconstruction of the company was attempted under Isaac Abdela with Walter Smith also a director.
1929 The company of Isaac J Abdela and Mitchell (1925) Ltd was voluntarily wound up
1929 Walter Smith set up Abdela-Mitchell (W. Smith) Ltd which later became part of Air Plants Ltd
1931 The Queensferry yard closed
1934 The Brimscombe yard closed when the canal shut although design work and some fabrication continued.