Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,443 pages of information and 230,060 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Albert Edward Beanland (1877-1939) M.I.Mech. E.
1907-10 Works manager for Thomas Yates in Ekaterinburg
1939 Manager, Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Co., Ltd., Tredomen Works, Ystradmynach, Glam. Private address: Maesy-dderwen, Nelson, Near Cardiff.
1939 Obituary 
"ALBERT EDWARD BEANLAND was born at Barton on Humber in 1877, and received his education at Elmfield College, York, and the School of Science, Lincoln. He served his apprenticeship from 1894 to 1898 with Messrs. Robey and Company, Ltd., of Lincoln, passing through the machine and erecting shops. In 1903 he was appointed to the staff of Messrs. Petters, Ltd., Yeovil. In 1905 he became chief inspector for Messrs. Humber, Ltd., Beeston, and in the following year mechanical superintendent at Messrs. C. and A. Musker, Ltd. In 1907 he went to Russia, where, as works manager for Messrs. Thomas Yates, Ekaterinburg, he was responsible for the design and construction of several 500 h.p. tandem triple-expansion steam engines with water-tube boilers for driving large corn mills in the Urals and Siberia.
These were the first plant of this type to be constructed in the Urals, all plant previously used there having come from Germany. In 1912 he was appointed department manager at the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company, Ltd., Birmingham. From 1916 to 1917 he was works manager of the Adams Tool Company, Ltd., Birkenhead, going from there to Manchester, where he was appointed works manager at Messrs. Royce, Ltd., Trafford Park. In 1922 he became manager of the Tredomen Engineering Works of the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company, Ltd., a position which he held for seventeen years. These works comprise steel, iron, and brass foundries, constructional shops, a drop forging plant, an electrical department, together with machine and fitting shops. He was responsible for the original layout and organization of the whole works and he subsequently directed considerable extensions. He died on 16th February 1939. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1920 and was transferred to Membership in 1924."