Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,062 pages of information and 227,774 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Associated British Engineering
1939 Formed from the Petters Company after the acquisition of Petter's oil-engine business based at Yeovil by Brush Electrical Engineering Co. Name changed to Associated British Engineering; aim of the company to achieve consolidation of the oil-engine industry . It had become a holding company with most of its income derived from its shares in Brush (in which it held a controlling interest) and other investments .
1943 Acquired J. and H. McLaren which then won a major contract with the USSR for diesel-generator sets.
1944 Acquisition for cash of the goodwill and assets of the diesel engine business of Mirrlees, Bickerton and Day. A new company to be formed to continue the business under the old name. The Glasgow factory was to remain as part of the Mirrlees Co and would continue to operate as Mirrlees Watson Co, manufacturer of sugar machinery . As a result the range of diesel engines produced by Associated British was expanded, covering 1.5 h.p. to 1400 h.p.
1945 Capt R. C. Petter resigned from the board
1949 Two of the directors, who were also directors of Brush, would join the board of Henry Meadows of Wolverhampton. Brush to have the option of acquiring at cost any shares acquired as a result of this liaison by Associated British Engineering. Henry Meadows had one of the most modern engine factories in the country. This arrangement would enable Meadows to produce for Brush a range of diesel engines that Brush had designed, as well as the supply of gear-boxes to Brush for use with their diesel engines, meeting a large proportion of Brush's needs for gear-boxes from one source .
1953 Sale of shares in Brush
1954 Company meeting told about progress in widen the scope of the company's activities by sale of part of the shareholding in Brush. Manufacturing subsidiaries mentioned were Henry Meadows Ltd, Bergius Co Ltd, H. Widdop and Co, and A. C. Morrison (Engineers) Ltd .
1956 Established new subsidiary company Free Piston Engine Co to exploit the rights acquired from Pescara (France) for the production and marketing of the free pistoned gas generator in defined territories (U.K. and elsewhere) . Concluded agreement with Alan Muntz and Co to develop unit of under 6 inch diameter suitable for automobile use .
1958 Early application of the free piston engine in a ship was foreseen to take place within a few months; a ship was being fitted out by Lithgows. Other British companies were also working on this type of engine including Hawker Siddeley but smaller units for use in automotive applications were not expected soon .
1962 Announcement of annual results showed substantial losses, including provision for losses of Free Piston Engine Co. Reorganization of the group expected .
1964 Associated British Engineering returned to profit and paid a dividend after a gap of 5 years  but future fortunes depended on health of ship-building as the group's interests had by then become closely tied to that sector. Acquired Mackay Industrial Equipment
1972 Return to profit after 6 years .
1985 Losses announced and extensive capital reorganisation .