Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,111 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Piccadilly, Regent St, London W1 (1913)
of Scrubbs Lane, Willesden, London NW10
of Windmill Road, Hampton Hill, Middlesex.
Anzani was an engine manufacturer founded by the Italian Alessandro Anzani (1877-1956). The company produced proprietary engines for aircraft, cars, boats, and motorcycles in factories in Britain, France and Italy.
From c.1909 the British representatives for Anzani were The General Aviation Contractors Ltd
c.1912 British Anzani Engine Co was established in London at the same address and took over the represenation of Anzani.
In the UK, Anzani outsourced the manufacture of their engines to Coventry Ordnance Works.
Supplied AC Cars with the 1,496cc side-valve four cylinder engine (that would become their famous 2-litre motor), Frazer-Nash with an 1,496cc ohv engine, Morgan with a V-twin, and Squire with the R1 twin cam engine. Their most well known products came to be in motorcycles, lawnmowers and outboard engines. Cotton and Greeves motorcycles used Anzani motors.
1927 Private company.
1937 Formed as a private company
1937 Aero engine manufacturers.
In 1939, British Anzani built a prototype that was the forerunner of the popular post-war clip-on model. Simple in construction, it was a 61cc two-stroke that was positioned beside the left upper chain-stay with the cylinder inclined along the frame tube. Ignition was by magneto and a petroil tank sat beside the drive roller. The firm was unable to develop the idea due to other commitments.
1951 Became a public company
The company diversified
1961 Employs 150 persons. One of the largest manufacturers of outboard marine engines. Also make 'Easimow' motor mowers, power units for motorcycles and light cars and Astra light utility vehicles.
1980 As the British Anzani Group it finally went into liquidation in 1980.