Brooks and Doxey
Brooks and Doxey of Union Iron Works, West Gorton, Manchester, and Junction Iron Works, Newton Heath, Manchester
Brooks and Doxey were manufacturers of machinery for the cotton textile industry.
1859 The firm Samuel Brooks was founded by Samuel Brooks.
1892 The firm became Brooks and Doxey in 1892 when R. A. Doxey joined the firm as partner; it was still in existence in the 1950s.
1898 The company was registered on 22 April, to acquire the business of textile machinists of the firm of the same name. 
1898 'Brooks and Doxey Limited is the designation of a new undertaking formed to acquire as from the 1st of January last the business of textile machinists carried on by Messrs. Brooks and Doxey at the Union Ironworks, Gorton, and the Junction Ironworks. Miles Platting. Manchester. The business as originally founded by the late Mr. Samuel Brooks was, it was stated, carried on at the Minshull Mills, London-road. Manchester, from 1859 to 1864, when it was removed to the Union Ironworks, Gorton.'
1905 Name plate. Exhibit at Armley Mill Museum.
1914 Manufacturers of textile machinery. Specialities: all machinery for complete cotton-spinning mills, doubling mills and sewing thread mills; woollen and cotton waste machinery. Employees 2,500. 
1915 Advert. Makers of woollen mules and quick transverse winders.
1931 Brooks and Doxey, Howard and Bullough, Platt Brothers, Asa Lees and Co, Dobson and Barlow, Joseph Hibbert and John Hetherington and Sons sold their textile machinery making assets to Textile Machinery Makers (TMM) in return for shares. Tweedales and Smalley were initially not partners of the TMM scheme but they joined later.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Leeds Mercury, 23 April 1898
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
-  Manchester Archives. Not dated: between 1890 and 1950 (49 items. Glass negatives of textile machinery