of Great Ancoats Street, Manchester.
Once known as Brown's Field Mill.
On Great Ancoats Street, and served by the Rochdale Canal, it had seven storeys and was in an L-shaped formation. The main seven-storey block was built in 1825, and a smaller wing of six storeys was added a few years later.
The mill has Manchester's oldest surviving mill chimney. Its lower part provides the central axis of a spiral staircase.
Initially used in the cotton trade, it later had several different occupancies and was used for smaller trades. The building has been preserved.
1867 One wing (the smaller wing of the 'L') was destroyed by fire. This had been partly occupied by J. Sutcliffe, machine maker.
Sources of Information
- 'Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester' by Mike Williams with D. A. Farnie, Carnegie Publishing Ltd, 1992
- South London Chronicle, 13th July 1867
-  'Manchester UK - Manchester Cotton Mills' website