Carville Power Station
1904 Carville Power Station was opened by the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co to supply power for the electrified railways in the Newcastle area. This was designed by Charles Merz of Merz and McLellan. It was widely recognized as the first large generating station of the modern type and it established Merz's engineering reputation.
By 1908 Carville had been increased to 4 times its original capacity; its supply to many major industries reduced the need for them to use coal and cut smoke emissions; waste heat and gases in the area were starting to be utilised for making electricity.
1908 A tunnel was being driven under the Tyne to carry cable for delivering electricity from Carville to the 6,000 hp station at Hebburn
1917 Carville B Power Station was opened.
Sources of Information
- "Power supply and its effect on the industries of the North-East Costs" by Charles Merz in The Engineer 1908/12/11
- The Times Apr. 8, 1908
- Biography of Charles Merz, ODNB