Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,766 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Clarkson (1854-1924)
1924 Obituary 
CHARLES CLARKSON was born at Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, on 30th January 1854, and was educated privately.
He served his apprenticeship from 1869 to 1874 with Messrs. Bailey Pegg and Co., engineers and founders, Brierley Hill, Staffordshire, and was afterwards — from 1874 to 1878 — employed as draughtsman with the Somerset and Dorset Railway Company, and with Messrs. James Milne and Son, Edinburgh.
From 1878 to 1880 he was with the Nottingham Malleable Iron Co., Ltd., as engineer and manager, and was subsequently appointed to a similar position with Messrs. Miller and Co., of the London Road Foundry, Edinburgh.
He then became general manager with Messrs. Francis Morton and Co., Ltd., of the Hamilton Iron Works, Garston, near Liverpool, and whilst there was responsible for the steel work of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.
During the war between China and Japan, Mr. Clarkson was manager of the Whitehead Torpedo Works, at Weymouth.
He practised privately for a time as consulting engineer, and amongst other work designed and carried out the new works at Birkby, Huddersfield, for Messrs. J. Hopkinson and Co., Ltd., and a new foundry and works at Leeds for Messrs. Blaikie and Co.
Latterly, and up to the time of his death, he was managing director of Messrs. David Thomson, Ltd., engineers, Edinburgh, with very successful results, and during the late war he re-arranged the establishment for the production of shells and bombs.
Mr. Clarkson died in Edinburgh, on 26th May 1924, in his seventy-first year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1891.