Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,318 pages of information and 216,336 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
David Hay (1859-1938)
1859 Born in Westmorland, son of James Hay, railway contractor's agent, and his wife Helen
Pupil of Benjamin Baker
1911 Civil engineer, working on his own account, living in Lewisham with Beatrice Hay 51, Evelyn Lesley Hay 21, Althea M Hay 19
1938 Died in Hawkhurst.
1938 Obituary 
1938 Obituary 
DAVID HAY was born on the 10th April, 1859, and died at Flimwell Grange, Hawkhurst, Kent, on the 30th October, 1938.
At the age of 18, he became a pupil, in 1877, of his father, and on the conclusion of his apprenticeship was appointed contractors’ engineer upon the construction of the Great Northern and London and North-Western Joint Line from Newark to Tilton and Leicester, a total length of track of 44 miles.
On the completion of that work he was employed, during 1884 and 1885, on the construction of a new dock at Silloth, Carlisle, after which he spent 3 years on the work involved in widening the North-Eastern Railway lines in and around Newcastle-on-Tyne.
In 1888 he came to London to take up a position as contractors’ engineer in connexion with the completion of the City and South London tube railway from the Elephant and Castle to King William street in the City, and on its extension to Stockwell. He was then for a short time in charge of the widening of the Great Northern main line near Grantham.
In 1892 Mr. Hay was appointed senior resident engineer, in charge of the construction of the Blackwall tunnel, for the London County Council. Soon afterwards Mr. Hay entered into partnership with the late Sir Benjamin Baker and Mr. (afterwards Sir) Basil Mott, the firm subsequently becoming Messrs. Mott, Hay and Anderson.
Among the many works with which Mr. Hay was subsequently associated was the reconstruction of the City and South London Railway during the years 1920-1924 and its extension in the 2 following years from Clapham Common to Morden, a distance of about 5 miles. He was also engaged upon the improvement of the Central London tube railway and upon the construction of thirteen bridges on the Liverpool-East Lancashire road.
He was elected an Associate Member in 1892 and was transferred to the class of Member in 1895. In 1897, in conjunction with the late Mr. (later Sir) Maurice Fitzmaurice he presented a Paper describing the construction of the Blackwall Tunnel, for which the Authors were awarded Watt Medals and Telford Premiums.