Destructor Bridge, Bath







This was an iron bridge installed some time after 1905 to carry traffic over the River Avon to the city's refuse destructor. It was removed c.2016 and replaced by an attractive modern bridge.
The Old Bridge
The wrought iron lattice girders were constructed c.1870 for a road and foot bridge to serve the the Midland Railway's new Bath Green Park Railway Station. It was replaced in 1905 bridge by a larger steel bridge constructed by Andrew Handyside and Co. See Midland Bridge (Bath). The old girders were re-erected a short ditance downstream to serve the refuse destructor.
See here[1] for more information. Its admittedly limited eye-appeal was enhanced by the addition of some ornate iron castings at the end of each girder. It is hoped that these castings have been preserved.
1905 'THE MIDLAND BRIDGE - PROBABLE DATE OF OPENING.
On Sunday the new Midland Bridge, which has been bolted together for some time past, was moved into line with the approaches. It had been resting on a timber framework to the right the old structure, and during the demolition of the latter a temporary wooden bridge between the old and new was used for the traffic over the river. The parapets and decking of this deputy structure were taken away on Saturday night to enable the new bridge being drawn into its proper position, all the old bridge having been cleared away except the two booms which were run together and only occupied a small space on the Green Park side of the new erection. The work of moving the bridge was very smoothly accomplished. It rested on powerfully built timber carriages which moved along rails laid on bearings on either bank. The motive power was a crab winch, worked by hand, which was connected to the carriages by steel cable. At 6.30 a.m. on Sunday the huge structure weighing 500 tons was started the way to its correct position, and in two hours it was there. But there remains the task of lowering it on to its abutments, a distance of five feet. This is a delicate operation, requiring the greatest care to avoid straining, and will be done by removing the timbers at each corner as the bridge gently is raised by hydraulic jacks. On Monday the decking and sides of the temporary bridge were replaced, and this will again be used for traffic until the new bridge is ready. This will most probably be in fortnight's time. The contractors expect have the bridge resting upon its abutments by the 30th October, and then the Corporation, in conjunction with the Electric Tramway Company, will have their part to do. The metal bed of the bridge will be covered with a slight coating of concrete get a level surface, and on this the wood blocks will be laid. A look at the new structure as it now rests on its timber supports shows the line of the tramrails, for to receive these a double row wooden sleepers have been fixed to the bridge. The making up of the approach roads and the laying of the tram lines will proceed simultaneously, and it is hoped to do this in a week. The two booms of the old bridge will not taken down until its successor has been lowered. They will then be unbolted, taken ashore in sections and shipped in barges, to be taken down the river to the site selected for re-erection — between the destructor works and the Twerton ash-heap. Large numbers of people visited the locality of the bridge on Sunday and derived what satisfaction they could from gazing at its substantial appearance. The actual moving was done too early in the day to be watched by many. It was superintended by Mr. W. Stuart, the representative of the contractors (Messrs. Handyside and Co., Derby), who has had charge of the building and placing of the bridge.'[2]
The New Bridge
The new bridge is unusual in having a single bowstring arch. The largely functional design and simple form combined with careful attention to every detail, and good workmanship, demonstrate that a bridge does not have to have unnecessary curves or appendages to attract admiration.
The above photographs were taken in 2017, before completion. Vandals, algae and dirt may have spoiled the appearance since then!
Designed by Knight Architects and COWI (previously Flint & Neill). Main Contractors: Britannia Construction Ltd. Fabricator: Fincantieri.