Dundee and Arbroath Railway
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway was a railway link between those two towns in Scotland which ran along the banks of the River Tay.
The railway company received its Parliamentary Act on 19 May 1836 as a 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) gauge railway. It was destined to play a more important part than the Dundee and Newtyle Railway, inasmuch as it is now a section of the East Coast route to Aberdeen.
Tho line was opened from Arbroath to Craigie, outside Dundee, in October 1838; on June 3rd, 1839, it was carried to Roodyards, 1 mile from Dundee; The section thence to Trades-lane in Dundee was built by the Dundee Harbour Trustees, and on April 8th 1840 the line fully opened.
17 mile line with a branch to Almericloss and on a 5ft 6ins gauge. Opened in 1838 from a temporary station at Craigie, Dundee.
1923 Became part of London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1924/11/21