Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,753 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
E R & F Turner of St. Peter's and Grey Friars Works, Ipswich.
1842 The first steam engine was built and used to drive the St Peter's Works.
1849 Produced their first portable engine to their own design.
By 1851 the other partners had dropped out and Edward carried on the business himself.
1851 Exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition. Details of their products shown at
Frederick Turner joined his brother in the firm which became E. R. and F. Turner
1862 Exhibited at the 1862 London Exhibition. Details of their products shown at
1865 introduced a traction engine.
1874 Portable engine No. 981 on display at the Museum of East Anglian Life. This features a Hartnell governor.
1876 Exhibitor at the Royal Agricultural Show at Birmingham with a new vertical engine and boiler. 
1876 Vertical engine and boiler. 
1882 Introduced the 'Gippeswyk' engine.
1884 It moved to Grey Friars Works.
1890 June. Royal Agricultural Society’s Disintegrator and Grist Mill Trials. 
1890s Built IC stationary engines.
1894 June. Roller Mills, Dressing machines, Fixed and Portable steam engines. 
1894 Smithfield Club Show. Showed a mill for breaking down maize. 
1897 Took limited status.
1899 Designed the "John Bull" Steam Engine to meet the large and increasing demand for a small size engine, which was 'low in price, and yet strong and solidly constructed, and suitable for a boiler up to 100lb per square inch - exhibited at the 1899 Royal Agricultural Show.'
c1900 Introduced the 'John Bull' series of engines.
1900 June. Royal Agricultural Show at York. Showed mills and miller's machinery. 
1910 Stationary engine range in four sizes - 6, 10, 15 and 20 hp. 
1911 Royal Agricultural Show. Flour milling machinery. 
1911 Smithfield Club Show. Exhibited oil and steam engines, corn grinding and crushing mills, cake breakers etc. 
1912 The last engines were made and the company concentrated on the flour milling side of the business.
1914 Engineers. Specialities: flour milling machinery of every description, both for roller and stone systems; wheat-cleaning, washing and conditioning machinery, corn-crushing and fodder-preparing machinery of all kinds; corn grinding mills; high-class steam engines and boilers; oil engines; inventors of the Turner-Hartnell automatic expansion governor and Turner Pegg positive Corliss valve gear for steam engines, the Turner patent wheat drier and conditioner, the Turner patent diagonal four-roller mill, the Turner patent purifier for semolina and middlings. Employees 600. 
1920 June. Issued catalogue on using the Sindar grinding mill. 
1932 AGE was liquidated
1937 New works were opened in Foxhall Road and the other sites were closed.
1946 Bull Motors advert.
1961 Engineers specialising in flour and provender milling machinery, maize flaking machinery, grain handling and drying equipment and "Bull" electric motors and dynamos.