Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,806 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Haydock (1875-1924)
1926 Obituary 
EDWARD HAYDOCK was born at Bickershaw, Lancashire, on 23rd July 1875, and was educated at the Hindley and Abram Grammar School, subsequently spending some years at the Wigan School of Mines and the Manchester School of Technology.
Part of his apprenticeship was served with the Abram Coal and Cannel Co., where his father was for many years Chief Engineer, and the remainder with Messrs. Edmundsons of Salford, and F. Pearn, pump-makers, of Gorton.
On the completion of his term, after spending some time with Messrs. Barrett and Farrand, of Manchester, on work connected with cloth-raising machinery, he started business on his own account as engineer and contractor.
Five years later he was appointed as Works Superintendent to Sir W. H. Bailey and Co., Ltd., Salford, and this position he held for about six years, when he resigned in order to proceed to New Zealand, on taking up the appointment of Workshops Instructor at the Auckland Technical College. This position he held for five years, after which he commenced an engineering business on his own account, manufacturing his own water-meters, train recorders, and other items.
In 1918 he registered as a Patent Agent, becoming a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys, as well as British Member of the Institute of Patent Attorneys of Australia.
In these activities he was occupied up to the time of his death, which occurred after a very short illness on 13th May 1924.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1922.