Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,806 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Albion Works, Oldfield Road, Salford, Manchester (1914), and later of Albion Works, Patricroft.
1863 John Bailey and Co, turret clock makers, brassfounders, steam and water gauge makers, copying press makers, of Albion Clock and Brass Works, 9 Essex St, Oldfield Road, Salford and Goree Piazza, Liverpool.
1865 John's son William inherited his father's business at Albion Works after John Bailey retires. Business now manufacturing steam pumps, ram pumps, regulating valves, pyrometers, barometers, fire engines, tide recorders, gas jet motors, lubricators & turnstiles.
1876 John Bailey and Co, printer's machinists, of Albion Works, Essex St, Oldfield Road, Salford
1876 W. H Bailey and Co, makers of clocks and watches, patent steam pressure recorder, fusible plugs, steam pressure gauges, test pumps, of Albion Works, Regent St, Salford; Bailey's Illustrated Inventions with 1000 engravings was free with orders over £10
1879 Company classified as machinery hand and strapping manufacturers of Albion Works, Oldfield Road, Salford; advertised as hydraulic engineers, brassfounders, valve and gauge makers, water engines; turret clock and lightning conductor manufacturers; lifts, hoists, steam pumps, injectors, and boiler fittings
1880 Advert: Acquired the business and assets of W. Lamb and Co, of Safety Valve Works, Manchester.
1885 Works opened at Hall Bank, Patricroft.
1886 Supplied six 10-HP oscillating cylinder water motors for military use in Northern India, for wire rope haulage of small trucks on light railway tracks up mountains 
1888 Issued catalogue of steam and water fittings, including pressure gauges, steam and water valves, safety and relief valves, sluice valves, fire fittings, fusible plugs, injectors and feed pumps, steam traps, pyrometers, thermometers etc manufactured by themselves (W. H. Bailey of Salford)
1889 Berry's aqua-thruster. (Bailey and Co of the Albion Works, Salford)
1889 Private company formed as W. H. Bailey & Co. Ltd.
1890 Alfred John Bailey (son of William Bailey) joins the company.
1894 Catalogue of pumps and hydraulic machinery (W. H. Bailey and Co of Albion Ironworks, Salford).
1898 Advert: Bailey's Turret Clocks
1899 Announce they have acquired a foundry at Salford to produce motors (for cars).
1903 Issued a catalogue devoted to Bailey's patent recorders, autographic " tell-tales" and indicators for all purposes.
1908 Awards at the Franco-British exhibition in the classes for steam engines and for carriage-building.
1909 Hydraulic engineers, Albion works, Oldfield Road , and Essex St, Salford
1911 Pamphlet 'Bailey's Power Pumps' issued
1911 Displayed bi-jet carburettor at Olympia Motor Show.
1913 April. Advert for garage pumps, silencer and tyre carrier.
1913 Death of Sir William H. Bailey. Following this, the company name changed to Sir W. H. Bailey and Co Ltd.
1914 Engineers. Specialities: fusible plug for preventing boiler explosions, reducing valves, air compressors, steam pumps, sinking pumps, testing machines. 
1934 Advert- Sir W. H. Bailey and Co., Salford, 5, Lancashire.
1935 See W. H. Bailey and Co:1935 Review.
1945 Advert. Pumps and valves. (Sir W. H. Bailey and Co of Patricroft).
1947. Offices opened in London.
1961 Mechanical engineers, manufacturing valves for steam, air, gas and water; pumps, turnstiles and gauge testers. 350 employees. 
1967 Sir W. H. Bailey and Co Ltd. merged with Whites-Nunan Ltd. that was already part of Imperial; the head office was transferred to Sharp Street; Patricroft was retained as a foundry and manufacturing site.
1968 Supplied main water cooling valves for the Winfrith power station.