Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,442 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Edward Winram Dickinson

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Edward Winram Dickinson (1872-1946)


1946 Obituary [1]

EDWARD WINRAM DICKINSON was born in 1872 at Ulverston, North Lancs., and died on the 16th March, 1946, after a short illness. He received his education at Manchester Grammar School and Bradford Technical College, afterwards being apprenticed under John H. Rider of Halifax. In 1893 he was appointed Engineer to the Corlett Engineering Company, Wigan, working on coal-getting and mining plant. From 1894 to 1896 he was Assistant Engineer at the Bolton Corporation Electricity Works, and from 1896 to 1898, Engineer and Manager to the Trinidad Electric Light and Power Co. In 1898 he joined the British Electric Traction Co. as Chief Assistant Power Engineer and Chief Assistant to the Consulting Engineer on light railway, tramway and lighting work. From 1903 to 1926 he supervised the layout and construction of the Greenwich power station and subsequently became Power Station Engineer. In 1926 he joined the staff of the Electricity Commission as personal Technical Assistant to the Chairman, the late Sir John Snell, and assisted in the preparation of the Regional Schemes under the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1926, and with the preliminary proposals for the reorganization of distribution. In 1930 he became Rural Development Officer of the Electricity Commission. He retired in 1933.

During the First World War he made successful experiments in the use of coke and coke breeze in place of "green" coal for steam raising on a large scale. In 1932 he was awarded the Paris Exhibition Premium, jointly with H. W. Grimmitt, for their paper on "The Design of a Distribution System in a Rural Area."

He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1900 and was elected a Member in 1911.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information