Enfield Rolling Mills
Enfield Rolling Mills of Brimsdown, Middlesex. Telephone: Enfield 3671. Telegraphic Address: "Rolenmil, Brimsdown, Middlesex". Proprietors of London Zinc Mills (1935) Ltd. (1937); of Erdington, Birmingham
Enfield Rolling Mills Limited came into being as a private Company in 1924, in a building formerly occupied by the London Foundry Company Limited.
The heavy raw materials used at Brimsdown were brought up the River Lea by barges direct from ships unloaded in London Docks. Most of the mills were arranged so that production commenced at the river end and flowed towards the main despatch area for delivery by road in the United Kingdom. Some exports were sent to the docks by returning barges.
The company made use of a loan from the Enfield Cable Works.
1933 Converted from a private company to a public company. Rolling of copper and Zinc and zinc can manufacturer.
Production increased greatly during the Second World War and continued to expand during the post-war years.
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Non-Ferrous Metals, Copper, Brass, Yellow Metal, Zinc, in Sheets, Strips, Circles, Shapes and Rods, Drawn and Extruded Sections, Rods and Bars. Zinc Nails. Zinc Cans for Dry Batteries. (Stand No. D.419) 
1939 The Copper Refinery was built in 1939. It later produced high conductivity wirebars, billets and cakes to B.S.S. 1037 and 1036, in any size required. Alloys cast included high-speed machining copper, containing tellurium, silver bearing coppers and phosphorous deoxidised copper.
1940 Battle of Britain - 4 October - Enfield Rolling Mills Cable Co received major damage from high explosives at 2100 hours. The water supply was temporarily curtailed and production was slightly interrupted. 
1943 Patent - Improvements in and relating to copper alloys. 
1944 Patent - Improvements in or relating to sealing of metal to vitrified materials such as glass, silica, porcelain and the like. 
1959 Acquired Enfield Cable
1960 Aluminium Ltd of Canada formed a joint venture with Enfield Rolling Mills to acquire the secondary smelter in Bradford then operated by Enfield Rolling Mills (Aluminium) Ltd; the JV was called Alcan Enfield Alloys Ltd
1961 Agreement with Delta Metal Co to form new joint company Delta Enfield Rolled Metals to merge the rolled copper, brass sheet and strip section activities of the two companies; production would continue at Brimsdown and Birmingham
1963 Subsidiaries included:
- Delta Enfield Rolled Metals was building a new mill in Birmingham
- Enfield-Standard Power Cables won contract to supply super high tension cables to CEGB
- Alcan Enfield Alloys was affected by variation in prices
- Crane Enfield Metals in Australia
- Light Engineering Division needed more space than available at Tottenham; a new factory had been built at Brimsdown.
Other Companies joined Enfield Rolling Mills Limited, forming a group of Companies with similar products or with production potential using the products of the parent Company.
1968 Bright annealing of copper and copper alloy strip in coil. 
c1970s The main works adjoined the River Lea, on a 30-acre site which was originally marshland.
1980 Despite continual progress, the factory had increasing difficulty in being competitive with overseas manufacturers and was closed in 1980.
Sources of Information
- Company promotional booklet c1970s