Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,754 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Kilburn Scott (1868-1941)
1868 Born in Leeds
1883 Apprenticed at his grandfather's firm E. Kilburn and Sons of Holbeck
1885 Improver apprentice at John Fowler and Co, Leeds
1887 Draughtsman with Mr Wilson Hartnell, consulting engineer
1890 Draughtsman in steam turbine department Clarke, Chapman and Co
1891 Head draughtsman with W. T. Goolden and Co
1891 Associate of Inst Elec Engineers
1892 Dynamo designer with Brush Electrical Engineering Co
1895 Head of drawing office Electric Construction Co
1896 Inspecting engineer
1897 Chief assistant engineer Johnson and Phillips
1900 Manager and engineer for UK and Colonies for Compagnie Internationale d'Electricite de Liege
Lecturer on electrical engineering at Northampton Institute, Clerkenwell
1901 Article on 'Electric Driving of Textile Factories' 
1901 Member of Inst Electrical Engineers
1902 Consulting engineer, working on carbide production, use of magnesite washes in furnaces, advising on various tramway electrification schemes.
1905 Moved to Sydney, Australia to organise electrical engineering department at the University
By 1914 was resident in Belvedere Kent
1941 Died in London
1941 Obituary 
1941 Obituary 
ERNEST KILBURN SCOTT was born on the 8th February, 1868, and died on the 12th July, 1941.
In 1883 he entered his grandfather's firm of R. Kilburn and Sons, and later went through the erecting and fitting shops and drawing office of John Fowler and Co., Leeds. He then became assistant to Mr. Wilson Hartnell and was engaged in steam-engine governor design and on electric lighting schemes in the North of England.
In 1890 he joined the firm of Clarke, Chapman and Co. as head draughtsman, later transferring to W. T. Goolden and Co. in the same capacity. Subsequently he was dynamo designer with the Brush Electrical Engineering Co. and in charge of the drawing office of the Electric Construction Co. For a short time he assisted Mr. Robert Hammond in consulting work.
He then joined Messrs. Johnson and Phillips, where for 3 years he was Chief Assistant in the electric light and power department. In 1900 he was appointed Engineer and Manager in this country for the Compagnie Internationale d'Electricite of Liege.
In 1902 he was engaged in electric furnace work in Norway, in the course of which he produced a refractory furnace lining from magnesite. In 1904 he reported on the use of large gas engines and steam turbines on the Continent.
In 1905 he went to Sydney, New South Wales, to organize and take charge of the Electrical Engineering Department of the University. On his return to this country he was appointed to University College, London, as Lecturer on Electrical Design and also lectured on electrical engineering quantities at the Northampton Polytechnic Institute. At the same time he practised as a consulting engineer. During the war of 1914-18 he was for some time Labour Officer with the Ministry of Munitions. He also designed nitrate plants for Kynoch's, Ltd., and for the British-American Nitrate Co. of New York.
In 1920 he went to America and reported on public utility and industrial companies. He also gave expert evidence at Washington before the Senate Committee on Nitrates. For some years he was editor of the Proceedings of the Association of Mining Electrical Engineers.
He was elected an Associate of The Institution in 1891, an Associate Member in 1899 and a Member in 1901.