Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,709 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Apsley, Hertfordshire
Frogmore Mill is thought to have been in existence at the time of the Domesday Book (1086) as a corn mill
Later changed to fulling cloth then to papermaking in 1774.
It was known as Mill No 401 in the excise list.
1803 After experimenting for three years on the Didot design of machine to make paper in a continuous manner, John Gamble and Bryan Donkin installed the machine at Frogmore Mill, Hertfordshire, acquired by the Fourdriniers (Henry and Sealy) as the site for their new paper-making entreprise.
1810 The Fourdriniers went bankrupt.
By 1817 it had been leased by William Nash who died in 1824. It was then run by his wife until about 1830.
1851 Burgess and Watt made paper from wood by a chemical process, now known as soda pulp, for a newspaper trial.