Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Gilbert James Scott (1889-1942), chairman of of Laurence, Scott and Electromotors
1889 Born the son of William Harding Scott
1942 Obituary 
Captain GILBERT JAMES SCOTT, D.F.C., B.Sc, was born on the 5th December, 1889, and was educated at Bracondale School, Norwich, and Willaston School, Cheshire.
After serving for a short time as improver in the workshops and drawing office of Messrs. Laurence, Scott and Co., he took a 3-year day course in electrical engineering at the City and Guilds Engineering College, where he obtained his B.Sc. degree in June, 1911.
He then went for 6 months to the A.S.E.A., Vesteras, Sweden, as a pupil. From January, 1913, to August, 1914, he was Manager and Secretary to Messrs. Scott's Starter Syndicate, Ltd., Norwich and was engaged on the design and manufacture of electric lighting and starting equipment for motorcars.
During the war of 1914-1918 he served in the Royal Flying Corps and was awarded the D.F.C. After the war he was appointed assistant to the Managing Director of Messrs. Laurence, Scott and Co. (now Messrs. Laurence, Scott and Electromotors, Ltd.).
In 1922 he became a director of the Company and in 1936 Managing Director, and in 1938 he succeeded his father as Chairman, a position which he held until his death on the 29th March, 1942. During his directorship he initiated the development of the firm's a.c. designs and extended and modernized its manufacturing resources.
He joined The Institution in 1910 as a Student, was elected an Associate Member in 1916 and a Member in 1928, and in 1910 was awarded a Students' Premium (jointly with Mr. G. W. P. Page) for a paper on "Single-Phase Commutator Motors, especially the Latour-Winter-Eichberg Type."
He is survived by a widow, three daughters and two sons.