Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Established by the Ministry of Munitions
Opened: December 1916 Management: Birmingham Metal and Munitions Co Products: small arms ammunition .303in Mk.VII
Construction finished: February 1917. Opened: early 1917. Area: 67.25 acres. Management: Kings Norton Metal Co Ltd. Product: small arms ammunition.
The buildings were completed by February 1917. Initially the factory produced 7.62mm ammunition for the Russian Army but latterly was switched to .303 inch production. By August 1918 a total of 192 million .303 inch rounds had been produced. Initially the men in the skilled tool room were opposed to utilising female labour but eventually women and boys formed a significant part of the labour force. In October 1918 there were 3,235 employees of whom 76% were women.
Construction finished: August 1916 on land owned by Great Eastern Railway Co.
Opened: May 1917.
Area: 13 acres.
Management: Eley Brothers.
Products: small arms ammunition - 7.62 mm.
Transferred to the Air Board for aero-engine repair work, early 1918