Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,336 pages of information and 219,114 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Victoria St, London
1892 Alexander Crombie Humphreys and Arthur G. Glasgow established the firm in London for the erection of water-gas plants and apparatus.
1894 Humphreys, who had been working for the United Gas Improvement Co. in Philadelphia, resigned to became the head of Humphreys & Glasgow, New York.
1909 the New York firm was incorporated
1911 Alten S. Miller entered the U.S. firm; the name was changed to Humphreys & Miller, Inc. By this time Humphreys had withdrawn from partnership in the London house.
The firm had a successful career in consulting engineering; Humphreys & Glasgow gas plants have been installed all over the world.
1935 Ambrose Congreve (1907-2011) married Arthur Glasgow's daughter Marjorie
1936 Congreve joined the board.
1939 Congreve took control of the company when his father-in-law, Dr Arthur Glasgow, retired.
1950s and 1960s: major contracts from the British Gas Board for plants producing gas from coal and oil; the firm diversified successfully into petrochemical engineering.
1968 Fertilizer plant for Finland 
1970s With the discovery of North Sea oil and gas and a downturn in the chemical industry, business declined. Successful move into the offshore engineering business
1970s Worldwide recession - difficult to compete with the larger players.
1983 Congreve retired; the company was sold to a business concern based in Dallas, Texas.
Subsequently split up and resold.