Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,744 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Mackworth Wood (1859-1939)
of the Engineer's Department, New River Water Works, Clerkenwell, London, E.C.
1924 Retired on October 31st, after nearly forty-four years service with the late New River Co and the Metropolitan Water Board, during which period he successfully filled the positions of Engineer of the late company, Engineer of the New River District, and Northern District Engineer of the amalgamated New River and Eastern Districts of the Board. We understand that it is Mr. Wood's intention to remain in practice, and that the address of its office for the present will be 12, Cavendish Mansions, Port Land-place, London, W. 1 (temporary office).
1939 Obituary 
"JOHN MACKWORTH WOOD made a specialized study of problems connected with water supply. He was born in 1859 and educated at the Suffolk Grammar School and University College, London. He was apprenticed to Messrs. Ransome, Head and Jefferies of Ipswich for two years, to Messrs. J. and A. Blyth, marine and general engineers, Millwall, London, for over two years, and he served for three years with Messrs. H. Pontifex and Sons, Ltd., general engineers, London.
In 1881 he became an assistant engineer to the New River Water Co, and in this position he designed and superintended the construction of reservoirs, filter beds, wells, and engine houses. While he was in the employ of this company he had considerable experience in the promotion and opposition of Bills in Parliament, as well as the preparation of evidence in connexion with proposed schemes. When the London water companies came under the control of the Metropolitan Water Board, he was appointed engineer of the New River district. He was later promoted to the position of northern district engineer, which he held when he retired in 1924. On his retirement he took up once more the private practice he had carried on while he was with the New River Company. He was consulted by various local authorities, water companies, and river and canal authorities, and he was a director of several water companies. His death occurred on 21st July 1939. He was elected a Graduate of the Institution as far back as 1880 and was transferred to Membership in 1886. In addition he was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and was one of the few engineers to be elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries."
1939 Obituary