Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,717 pages of information and 247,131 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Baynes (1852-1904)

From Graces Guide

John Baynes (1852-1904)


1904 Obituary [1]

JOHN BAYNES was born on 18th August 1852 at Cubeck, Wensleydale.

He was apprenticed for six years in the locomotive shops of the North Eastern Railway at Darlington, and was afterwards connected as draughtsman with Messrs. R. and W. Hawthorn of Newcastle.

On leaving that firm he went to Barrow-in-Furness, where he had charge of the construction and erection of the Ramsden Dock Gates. He remained there about two years, afterwards going to Crewe for eighteen months, and thence to the Victoria Dry Dock, London.

Then he joined the staff of Sir A. M. Rendel as an engineering inspector, which position he held for some few years.

Early in 1883 he was appointed works manager at the Shrewsbury Works of the Midland Railway-Carriage and Wagon Co., and remained in that position for two years. He then undertook the post of travelling representative for the same company, and in September 1886 was appointed London representative in charge of the company's offices.

At the end of 1898 he relinquished this post, and became secretary to the Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Works at Preston, and in June 1900 returned to London as London representative for Messrs. S. J. Clays of Derby and the Sheepbridge Iron Co.

He died suddenly of heart failure at his residence in London on 2nd December 1904, at the age of fifty-two.

He became a Member of this Institution in 1891.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information