Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1815 John Doulton became a partner in the pottery of Martha Jones in Vauxhall Walk, London, together with John Watts. The business became Jones, Watts and Doulton. It specialised in making stoneware articles, such as decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes
1820 Mrs Jones withdrew from the business
1826 Doulton and Watts flourished, moving in 1826 to premises in Lambeth High Street.
Eventually 6 of John's sons joined the business including John junior (the eldest) and Henry who became an apprentice in 1835. Henry was to be the driving force behind a number of innovations which made the name of Doulton world famous.
1841 John Doulton 47, potter lived in Lambeth with (John Doulton) 21, potter, (Henry Doulton) 20, potter, (Frederic Doulton) potter 15, (Alfred Doulton) potter 14, (Jacob Doulton) 9, (James Doulton) 6, (Jane Doulton) 15, (Mary Ann) 12
1851 John Doulton 56, stone potter, a widower, lived in Lambeth, with his daughter Mary Ann Doulton 21 and son Josiah Doulton 18
1853 Doulton and Co was established by John and his son Henry as makers of fine English stoneware.
1873 John Doulton senior died. By this time, the firm was an established leader in industrial ceramics, and was just entering the field of art pottery.